Friday, February 1, 2008

What's New?

Is there anything that is really ever new? I am not sure why I was thinking about this....maybe because I was spending some time in Ecc. and as I was reading, the thought hit me that really there is nothing that is actually "new". And in today's culture there is such a push for "getting out there & getting what is new and improved" and I was just thinking, do we as Christians fall for this gimic? Do we somehow in the back of our minds slip into the wrong thinking that "if we get that new plasma HD TV we'll be real happy!"? Or what's new in the clothes stores...ladies?? Now, I am not saying that it is wrong or sinful to buy new things or get the latest clothes...I guess I am thinking about what it is that is driving us...what is it that is motivating our hearts? What is our thinking on this matter? Is it right thinking? Or have we given into our society's way of thinking...even a little bit? Just something to stop & check our thinking on...and for me it has been a good challenge to examine my own private thoughts on these matters. Because it is too easy to give the "right" answer, and still be driven by wrong thinking. I am going to have Dave hold me accountable in this, b/c too easy I am distracted by the glitter & glamour of this dying world....and the true riches & treasures of Heaven seem to fade to easily....since I cannot see Heaven now, but I can see what the world is offering....it is right there in front of me. My prayer is that you & I would continue to grow in our love for & longing for the sweetness & treasures to come in our long awaited home, Heaven! Where we will be with Jesus for Eternity...that is the essence of the "sweetness" to come still....being forever with our Lord Jesus, the Christ who came to save us from eternal seperation from Him....He saved us from Himself...His wrath that is to come!!! Praise God! So it is not evil to enjoy good things, for all good things come from His hand as a blessing, but it is keeping our perspective in right thinking on these things. To love the giver of these wonderful gifts more than the gifts themselves....at times more easy said than done....but still we must discipline our thinking to think Biblically about this.
..."and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil.4:7
"But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one." 2Thes.3:3
"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have." Heb.13:5a
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights..." James 1:17

These are just a few verses that I have been working on putting to memory, so that my heart will be guarded in Christ against falling into temptation to think wrongly about things that are "new".

No comments: